Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Help with Santa...

Canyon asks WAY too many questions, and pays too much attention to detail. I don't know that we'll be able to keep the Santa truth from him much longer. He's been asking all sorts of questions about him lately, and I hope I'm answering them okay. So here's one of our conversations last week....

Canyon: Does Santa go everywhere in the world??
Me: Yes Canyon, he visits all the children...everywhere.
Canyon: How does the do that??
Me: He's a very busy man, he's up all night delivering gifts.
Canyon: So he's barely getting home when it's morning.
Me: Yep
Canyon: Where does he live?
Me: You know....in the North Pole.
Canyon: I know...but is the North Pole in Utah??
Me: (laughing of course)...no honey...it's far far away at the top of the earth.
That ended the conversation, but I could see the wheels turning in his head and he was still deep in thought about it all. A few days later he asked me what Santa's real name was. I had to think for a minute, but told him it was Kris Kringle, and he left it at that. He's asked many more questions, that slip my mind at the moment.

So now I'm asking for help from all of you. How/when did you break the news to your kids?? Did you just let them keep asking questions, until they get it (which I plan to do)??? When did you find out as kids who "Santa" really was (I remember...do you???)??? Any insight on this topic would be great. It's just that he's only 6, and that just seems young to me to found out the truth....thoughts??

So I did find one thing that I think helped curb Canyon's curiosity. We went and saw Fred Clause on Saturday. It was a really cute show, and I think it helped to have Canyon see what the North Pole was "really" like. Maybe now he'll stop asking questions....until next year anyway!!!

I also took the kids to see Santa. They sat on his lap and got their pics taken. After the pics, we started to walk around the store and Canyon started to freak out because he forgot to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas. So I'm sure he hasn't figured out the truth yet, but the questions just make me nervous....and then this Santa....he didn't help. Look real close.......especially at the second pic.... How are you supposed to get a kid to believe in Santa when his mustache keeps falling off???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! That santa really doesent look very convincing. I hope you can keep it going a few more years.

Mariel said...

I haven't decided either. My dad dresses up as Santa every year and I am always so nervous that they are finally gonna pick up on it. But, I decided that when they do I will just tell them that lots of people try to "pretend" to be Santa but they are not the "real Santa"...that's all I've come up with so far. I'm hoping it will just come natural to know when it's time they knew. But, for now...I think they can still believe for years longer. Oh, also...in response to your comment... Shane was born July 14, 2004.

Mariel

Hollyween said...

I remember when I found out that Santa wasn't real. I think I was around 8 or 9 and I was seriously devastated. One of my stupid cousins told me and he was all na nee na nee boo boo about the whole thing. I think my mom finally fessed up and told the truth.
Joyce's step-son is 12. He just BARELY put all the pieces together and decided that he doesn't believe anymore. It's a good thing too because he was starting to get difficult and saying that he wouldn't tell them what he wanted for Christmas because santa "knew". Oy.