Sunday, October 12, 2008

What on earth....

Canyon's school is very good at teaching the kids good nutrition and health. Every week during PE, they get some sort of fruit or vegetable, and teach the kids about all the great things the food does for their body. The don't always do the usual fruit and veggies, but often do out of the ordinary things. Last week Canyon decided to bring his fruit home. He was all excited about his "Blood Orange". Just the thought of it kinda grossed me out. I was so interested in what it really looked like inside, I totally spaced taking a pic before I peeled it. Here's what the inside looked like....

....just like the name, it looked like a bloody orange. I had to do some research, just to make sure this was a real fruit, and they weren't sending home rotten fruit with my kid. Sure enough...check this out....bloodoranges. I hesitated tasting it, but it was actually really good. I would recommend picking one up the next time your at the store!!

10 comments:

Jen said...

They look gross, but I've heard they are very good. Never had one but maybe some day.

Anonymous said...

I had some blood orange sorbet once....it was SOOOOO good!

Gwen said...

They don't look so good. I'm glad that they taste good. Was the peeling the regular color?

pie said...

I'm surprised you haven't heard of them. That's cool that they are exposing them to a variety of healthy foods.

Brooke said...

I've heard about it before, but I've never tasted it...

Jylaire said...

Yeah, that looks terrible! Glad it tasted better than it looked!

Suzers said...

that is awesome!!!!

Tara Williams said...

I don't think I could choke it down! If it smells, feels or sounds gross...I can't eat it. I know...I'm such a fun person!

Johnson Family said...

How interesting???? That is neat that they are teaching them good nutrition that young in school.

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, I've never heard of those and they look so freakishly disgusting I don't know if I would ever dare eat it! If it had a different name I might...but that name is horrible!!